This past weekend was our church’s Christmas production, “Four Tickets to Christmas”. I used to sing in our choir and always enjoyed the Christmas event each year. When I heard that this year was a really big show I was excited about seeing it but wistful about not being involved. Then our Minister of Music called and asked for us to play the Holy Family!
I wasn’t sure exactly how Sara Gray would act as Baby Jesus but I knew it was a special opportunity that we’d probably never have again.
Matt & I attended a dress rehearsal and realized that that 1) it was a two-hour long show, 2) our part was only for about 1 minute at the very end and 3) we were the finale, center stage meaning the orchestra would loudly swell as the bright spotlights shined right on us, i.e. Sara Gray. umm…this was going to be interesting!
There were 4 total performances-Friday, Saturday & Sunday nights with a Saturday matinee. That was a lot of holding my breath to see how she was going to act!
Well, she obviously loves a spotlight! She was PERFECT!! Matt & I had a whole backstage routine-we timed it so we could sneak backstage arriving in time for one diaper change, a quick wardrobe change into some swaddling and an emergency warm bottle if needed. Tylenol and Mylicon were in the side pocket of the diaper bag and a pacifier hidden under Matt’s dress (um, cloak.)
The first night we stepped on stage and she literally looked right out in the audience. At the orchestra’s crescendo, Matt raised her up in his arms and Sara Gray lifted her little hands out as if she knew exactly the magnitude of what she was representing. You could hear the awes from the audience and I could not have been more surprised or proud!
She was a trooper for all the remaining performances and truly made it a special experience for us. She kept everyone backstage smiling and loved the ladies large costume hats with feathers.
I figured that Campbell may not deal with her family being on stage doing something important with a lot of attention while she was not apart of it so I held her off watching us until the last performance. I popped her some popcorn and fixed her backpack with water and snacks. Honey had reserved seats for the entire family on the second row. I was a little worried but knew the nursery was open just in case. When I stepped out on stage, I immediately looked for her and there she was….tears streaming down her face, clutching onto my mother. It was so pitiful!! I tried to look peaceful and in awe of my “son” on stage but it was hard to not acknowledge Campbell.
After the music stopped and the curtain closed I could hear “I want my maaamaaa” as my mom took her to the back. When the curtain call started, I just blew her kisses and sent her winks trying to let her know that it was going to be okay. After it was over, I brought her on stage so she could look out at eventually she calmed down and put a little dance into her step. So maybe I have TWO little actresses on my hand who love the stage and a spotlight…oh my!



No comments:
Post a Comment