August 13, 2009

A Shiner at School & Some Sparkle Nail Polish…

In spite of having a sweet little baby in the house, the rough & tough, never-know-what- she’ll-do-next adventures of a 3 yr old continue!

Campbell hadn’t been back to school a full week yet when she came home with a black eye!!  Well, it wasn’t exactly a fight on the playground.  This past Monday, she and a boy in her class were playing in the classroom and ran into each other at full speed. It happened right as Matt came home from lunch and her teacher called to see if we wanted to pick her up.  Miss Missy explained that Campbell wasn’t really that upset and in fact told Matt that Campbell was “one tough cookie” so Matt told her to just let C stay as long as she was okay. 

When she got home, she was already black & blue & swollen under her eye but she was very excited to tell me all about it. She explained that she and Houston hit each others heads and Miss Mary put ice on her eye and sthen he got to lay down on her mat and watch Scooby Doo.  So definitely nothing she was worried about! I told her she had a “shiner” which she just thought was so funny and has proudly showed off her shiner to everyone.

Here’s a picture of the shiner (her right eye):

image

THEN… yesterday morning Matt & I were hear Campbell scream at the top of her lungs about 6:30am.  We were upstairs with Sara Gray and Campbell hadn’t come out of her room yet.  Matt raced down the stairs and I hear him say “Oh my God!” and then hear him run to the kitchen and the faucet come on.  Campbell is still screaming an awful pain cry and Matt is yelling “put your head back, you’ve got to keep your head back!”.  After hearing that I assumed it was a bloody nose but all the commotion was too much for just a nosebleed and neither Matt nor Campbell really overreact to things like that.  I immediately came down the steps and found Campbell laid out on the kitchen countertop, kicking, with her head back in the sink. Matt was holding her down and washing her face with a lot of force.

When I asked him what happened, he asked me how she could have gotten into nail polish. WHAT?! She had put nail polish in her eyes!!

He reacted well by rinsing out her eyes immediately and although she was soaked, she was not screaming anymore.  When she started to get upset that her nightgown was all wet, I knew that her eyes were going to be okay.

She had gotten some nail polish for her birthday and I had put it in the top drawer of her dresser, along with jewelry and other things to be out of her reach—or so I thought!  She figured out how to stand on her bed and then reach over to open the drawer.  She got the nail polish and put in on her face. thinking she was putting on makeup!

By the time she left for school, I had discovered a few more patches of sparkles that had not come off in the sink or the bath—her eyebrow, cheeks, nose, arm & fingers! 

I don’t have any pictures of the nail polish incident—who had time to even think about a camera?  But nevertheless, it has been an interesting week for Campbell and her eyes. So this is what having a 3-year old is going to be like!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Whoah! That is SCARY about the nail polish! I'm so glad Matt reacted the way he did and she is okay. Your girls are so cute! I know you feel blessed! Come see us when you have a chance!

Nicole Bolinger said...

Hey Stephanie!!! How are you? You have a beautiful little family! It's so fun to see you have a blog, I LOVE blogging! Sara Gray and Campbell are adorable. So glad the nail polish didn't hurt her eyes. I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old so life is oh so interesting 'round here too! Good to "see" ya!