June 24, 2010

32…it doesn’t hurt that bad.

imageSo this year I really wasn’t looking forward to my birthday.  Like, we always say that but don’t mean it because that is just what you are supposed to say because…well, just because.  But this year was for real.  32 is old.  Now, I know it really is not in the big scheme of things, but for me it is.  30 was great-a milestone, a celebration.  When I turned 31, I was pregnant and had bigger things to worry about.  And then came 32.  Hmph. 

I remember my mom being 32 so I think that is why it’s a hard number to swallow.  Then again, I remember she was 36 for a long time.  Like through the entirety of my middle school years.  So maybe I will decide I like 32 and will stick with it for awhile.

Anyway, it is sad I suppose to avoid birthdays. Don’t get me wrong-I am not depressed by any means and I know the clichéd but very true saying about the alternative…

So who can be sad about turning 32, right?  Not I.  So I put on my big girl panties (big girl kinda means something different after so many years, huh?) and met 32 head on yesterday and decided it was going to be okay.

The girls and Matt got the celebration started on Tuesday night and surprised me with a homemade strawberry on strawberry (per Campbell’s selection) cake after I noticed that our cake stand was missing  and started asking questions about who broke it and why they had hidden it. After getting woken up with kisses and cards and gifts from the girls (a book from Campbell since we like to read together and a CD from Sara Gray since we like to dance together), I was encouraged to eat more cake again for breakfast but just couldn’t bring myself to it.  Good thing I didn’t-I got to work and had the famed Wednesday Cakes by Joyce cinnamon rolls waiting on me to celebrate with my co-workers (I really hope CC doesn’t read this!) and then lunch with another work crew and finally dinner with my sweet hubby at Saza’s in Montgomery.

So all in all, it was a good birthday.   I may regret having eaten my way through it when I get on the scales but hey-you only turn 32 once right.  Well, maybe not…like I said, I  may be 32 for awhile…who’s counting anyway?!

 

image

image

image

No comments: