March 9, 2010

Happy Birthday Matt!

Today is Matt’s 33rd Birthday.  Since he got some of my sickness, we canceled our plans to get away and I decided that the girls & I would throw him a homemade birthday. So, yesterday I took both the girls to Wal-Mart to get our supplies. I found a recipe for a soup that I thought he might like so we got ingredients for a special breakfast, dinner and a cake plus some decorations.

Last night Campbell & I made the cake (just a traditional yellow cake mix, double layered with chocolate icing), made a banner, cards and hung streamers in the kitchen so Matt would have a big surprise this morning.  Just because he was stuck at home didn’t mean we couldn’t celebrate!

image Our homemade banner

image

 

 

image

Campbell made lots of homemade cards and included her signature on every one!

 

This morning Campbell woke me up just after 6am so we could decorate the cake, make breakfast and get ready to surprise Daddy—she was so excited, even though we had to be “quiet as mice” so we didn’t wake him!

 

image The finished cake-complete with M&Ms, sprinkles & icing.

imageSURPRISE!!  A sick but happy Daddy-poor thing.

imageBirthday kisses 

image

Sara Gray wasn’t quite sure what to think but she was entertained by all the crazy decorations and excitement. She sucked on her bottle while we ate yummy apple roll-ups.

 

So this morning went great-it totally wore me out since I stayed up so late, climbing on counters to hang streamers and cooking with Campbell but I was looking forward to getting to cook for Matt since he’s always the chef.  I had picked out a recipe for a Cream of Potato Blue Cheese Soup—definitely Matt’s taste but a soup would be good since he’s still under the weather.

Well, I followed the directions-I chopped, I sautéed, I pureed and I stirred…and stirred..and stirred.  It tasted like dirt!!  I am not kidding-it was awful. I don’t know what went wrong.  Matt tried to be gracious but then we both just started dumping in whatever we could find to see if we could make it worthwhile.  Well, I added a bit too much salt and eventually I took off the apron (for a loong time) and decided it was time for take out!

image BEFORE (notice salt!) I had already decided it was awful…

image …and AFTER!

Well, Matt’s dinner was a bust but he made the best of it and it gave us something to laugh about.  We ate our dinner while watching the Trojans play in the Sun Belt finals (they lost in a nail biter-ugh!) and then Campbell & I sang Happy Birthday while Matt blew out his candle.

 

imageBlowing out his candles & making a wish 

image Campbell licking up some chocolate way past her bedtime!

Poor Matt tried to forget about being sick for our fun and ate what his dinner & cake but in the end, all our efforts went down the toilet!!  Poor Daddy!! 

 

Happy Birthday Matt-I love you so much and even though our birthday celebrations have certainly changed over the years-we’re still having fun and that is what matters most!  I am so thankful God has blessed me with such an amazing husband, father and best friend,  I hope you feel better soon!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy late birthday Matt. This is your little brother, Michael. Mary Hope told us of this page and it's good to see that you're doing well.