February 12, 2010

SNOW much fun!!

Can you believe it?? We have snow!  And not just the dusting we occasionally get but real powdery snow!  I was in TN earlier this week for work where it had been snowing and had been predicted to snow but just as we were getting on the plane to come home Thursday afternoon someone said hey you know we have 100% chance of snow for tomorrow-WHAT?!  Now, we get predictions for snow a lot but it never really happens so I was hopeful but not convinced.
This morning I woke up around 6:30am and sure enough, flurries were flying and already beginning to stick.  Campbell got up about 6:45 and I held up her by all the windows so she could see the big surprise!  She got so excited and then said “Santa’s coming!” We had to explain that one which was a little disappointing for her but by 7am we were outside and she was so excited!!
image
image
Now, I know what you are thinking—SG is sick!  Don’t worry, she was only out there just for a quick picture and then Matt & Campbell played while SG & I watched from inside
imageimage
image
All the schools and government agencies had already announced they were closing so I was just waiting to get a call or email saying not to come in but it never came.  So at 8am I bundled up for work but not before I made a snow angel and threw a few snowballs with Campbell.
image
image
image
Well when I got to work, it was obvious that the snow was sticking and not going to stop anytime soon so I knew we would be going home soon.  Of course there wasn’t much activity going on so I rounded up those of us in the office for some KW fun!
image
I learned how to make a snowman and we used plastic products from around the office to decorate our snowmen or um, missing co-workers!
Although I was bummed I had to go into work and miss playing with Campbell, it gave me an opportunity to see our town covered in snow and it was beautiful!  I was in the best mood and just in total awe!  I felt like I was in a dream watching the snow come down and cover everything. I have a lot of praise that morning just in total amazement of God’s gift!
Work was canceled but not before Matt called to tell me to get home-he had seen two cars sliding down our street already and didn’t want me to wait any longer. So I left work around 11:45am.
This was our backyard when I left this morning…
image
and this was what he looked like at noon…
image
image
image

Campbell had already come in from the cold for a hot bath (per her request to her daddy!) and was sipping on some hot chocolate in her cup.  I laid down with her for a nap and then after she was snoozing, got up to take some more pictures…
image
image
image




image
 image

The snow was beginning to take its toll on the power lines and limbs and we lost two large ones off one of our pine trees in the front but luckily they fell in the yard and not on my car or the house (which they could have!).  Troy wasn’t so lucky and we actually saw a tree splinter and break his lines…
image
I was such a kid and couldn’t wait to get in the snow and play some more so I woke up Campbell from her nap—that NEVER happens!!  And told her I didn’t want her to waste away daylight because I knew the snow wouldn’t last forever.  So we bundled back up and headed outside for some more fun. And yes, even Sara Gray.  I wanted us to all be outside so we could play and take pictures together so we just layered and layered the poor baby and propped her up in the stroller so she could see all the action.
image
image
image image
image
image
Campbell’s time in the snow didn’t last so long. She was constantly wanting to swap mittens (trying to get her hands warm) or just crying that she was too cold and needed to go inside.  We discovered that the cold is just not for her!  We distracted her by taking a walk down our street to see what our neighbor’s houses looked like and to check out the other snowmen…one group even made an igloo!
image
Matt got into a snowball fight with some neighborhood kids!
image
Troy & Jordan came home to no power but a beautiful yard!
image

Our snow day was one of the most fun days I have had in a long time!!  I truly felt like a child again but of course being older knew to appreciate how rare the experience was.  The last time it snowed like this in Troy I was a freshman in high school so I didn’t want one moment to slip away without enjoying this with my family in case it was another 17 years!
I am so thankful for the memories, the laughter, the new experiences and seeing God’s nature in a different light. I am also thankful to have a warm home, hot water and hot chocolate waiting us when we’ve had our fun but ready to get out of the cold and rest.  I just keep staring outside the windows thinking its all a dream. I know it will be gone soon as its already stopped snowing but I will always remember our snow day!

1 comment:

Shaunna said...

Wasn't it beautiful and so magical?? We didn't want it to end! Ava didn't even get out in it once...she pretty much slept all day. :) Love the picture of the backyard all covered!