February 9, 2010

Sara Gray Update

We’ve still been battling Sara Gray’s cold and last night she hardly slept or ate so I knew it was time to head back to the doc’s office. She hasn’t run fever but the poor girl just can’t breathe!  Holding her in my arms last night I could hear that rattling, cagey breathing and I just knew that it was time for some answers.
I was unable to get an appt with our regular doc but got in with another partner that we had seen before and really liked.  I explained to her that SG had been dealing with a cold since November and that  I was frustrated.  We’ve been to the doc several times had been through 2 different antibiotics and nothing seemed to be getting better. Previously, our doc has always heard said her lungs were clear but it was obvious that now the congestion was settling.
The doc said she could hear her wheezing across the room before I had to explain any further.  After a quick exam, she accessed that SG had a terrible ear infection (again!) in her left ear and needed a breathing treatment to open up her airways. She said that having a cold for that long, particularly for non-daycare baby, was not normal and we needed to test for RSV. SCARY!  The nurse brought in the nebulizer, mask and left me with a screaming SG to give her the breathing treatment.  It seemed like it was a very long time sitting there trying to sing, rock, bounce—anything I could do to comfort her but she just hated every bit and screamed until she was purple.  The good news I guess is that she was screaming and breathing and sucking in the medicine.
The RSV test came back negative which was a relief but still left some questions. The doc asked me a few questions and then posed an experiment—it was rare but possible that a milk allergy could have respiratory affects.  So she loaded me down with a new formula to try… the “Cadillac” of formulas meaning way expensive I guess.  She gave me a prescription for the ear infection, ear drops to numb the pain, and prescription for the Albuterol, instructions to wean her off her regular formula to the Nutramigen and breathing treatments every 4 hours!
I am hopeful all of these things will give her respiratory system the kick it needs to get over the congestion and stay well!  In the meantime, she is getting a little better with the treatments but its so pitiful watching her whine in that mask…
image

No comments: