For the past several years we have gone to Lake Martin for a very lazy New Years and we decided to do so again this year. We didn’t bring any friends-just us and then met my parents, Newton & Jamie, Aunt Patsy & Jerry at the lake house. We had a great dinner, played around taking pictures with the hats & horns, made big plans to watch the ball drop and a crazy stunt driver and then…went to bed! That’s right-we were the first ones to sleep before 9:30pm!! Campbell asked me to lay down with her while she watched a movie so I did and started reading a book and even after she was snoozing, I didn’t want to get up. I had gotten too comfortable for too long! It wasn’t too far after that Matt crawled into bed with Sara Gray so we all went to bed very early, waking up in the middle of the night to say “Happy New Years” and then back to sleep.
My, how my New Year’s Eves have changed over the years!! In my single years, I always had such high expectations but somehow the night’s events, as fun as they were, never lived up to my expectations so I always felt a little disappointed or slighted somehow.
Our first year with Campbell, Matt and I stayed home for the first time ever for a quiet night. That night, we got baby Campbell out of her bed so we could be with her just as the ball was dropping and give her a New Year’s kiss. I cried. I was so sad, I just wasn’t ready for 2006 to be over. It had been such a big year with the birth of our first child and I knew this celebration of time passing meant that she was growing up and things would only continue to change. And I just wasn’t ready for that.
While this year was the first New Year’s for Sara Gray, I definitely did not feel the same way. I’m not sure why—maybe because I now know that change is inevitable and also beautiful. While I cherish these moments and wonder how time got away so fast, I am looking forward to the new exciting times with both our girls as they continue to grow and change. While I am not sure what to expect, I guess I have learned that is what makes life so fun. And maybe I have realized that while 2009 was a wonderful year, filled with so many blessings for our family that the journey continues in the year ahead. I have faith that God will continue to provide for us in so many ways-our health, our home, our happiness. I guess it’s human nature to want to hang on to a good thing and while I am thankful for a great 2009, I have peace that only bigger and better things are ahead. I believe in a God that is good. I know I have much more change ahead and I’m thankful for new lessons, as hard as some of the tests ahead may be, new moments with my family and friends and fresh beginnings. Thank you God for ANEW year ahead.
a·new (
-n
,
-ny
)
adv.1. Once more; again. but in a new or different way; "start afresh"; 2. In a new and different way, form, or manner; afresh.
Happy 2010!



No comments:
Post a Comment