March 22, 2008

Disney for Daddy


Well, Matt and I just returned from a trip to Orlando. Just the two of us! Unfortunately, speaking engagements keep me on the road a lot these days but fortunately, every now and then, I end up somewhere fun and take along hubby for a mini-vacation. Last year, Matt joined me in New York which was the first getaway for just the two of us since becoming parents.
For years, Matt has been saying that he wanted to go to Disney. I, on the other hand, never considered it. I am not a rollercoaster kinda girl and I always thought its for kids, we'll have to go one day with our own anyway! I would rather spend our vacation somewhere that has good food, shopping, culture, etc. I always made fun of people who honeymooned at Disney...and if they actually got married there, well that was just hysterical.

So, I book my room a few days before my conference starts and suprise Matt for his birthday and we're off to Orlando. I really had no expectations at all and learned how much FUN traveling can be when you don't! Which is so NOT like me by the way.

We actually ate really good food, shopped & experienced some culture too-particularly in Epcot and Animal Kingdom. And, Matt even got me to ride some thrill rides which was, well, thrilling!! I never had so much fun at a theme park (even in my younger years) and I truly relaxed and had a great time, just Matt & me. I am especially proud of the fact I rode Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain Railroad (twice!).


Eventually, I had to return to work and make my presentation and left Matt to go back to all the parks to catch up on the special rides he wanted to --4 parks in one day (he should get a t-shirt for that!)

We joked that we were the only parents in the world that would come to Disney and leave their child behind but we have plans to take Campbell back next year (yep, gotta another meeting there!). We say we were on a scouting mission to see what she would enjoy. I missed her terribly, particulary everytime we saw a stroller or characters that she likes. I practically teared up in the Nemo show just thinking about her at home saying "MO" (Nemo) and "ISH" (fish), but it was a great trip for us as a couple and especially for me to play with that kid inside myself that I rarely spend time with anymore. Here are some pics from our trip:











(Troy also was in town for business so we met up for dinner and checked out "Pleasure Island" in Downtown Disney. The guys were so amazed by some magicians they had to buy some tricks of their own!)


post signature

1 comment:

The Reeves Family said...

Jason and I have been twice with no kids and I am sure well go again with no kids!! Disney is fun all the time, no matter if you are young or old!!!