February 9, 2008

Getting my Ducks in a Row


Campbell just LOVES bath time! She takes a bath twice a day-rain or shine-and that if she could squeeze in some time after lunch she would be in the tub again!! Bath time at night is our special time together. Every night after dinner she eats, plays in her food, etc. and when she is over the whole dinner in a high chair thing, she looks at me and says "BAFH". And so begins our ritual.


First we run the water and then start taking off her clothes, getting her toys which just makes her dance with joy.

Of course, she has to check the temperature of the water. "Hot?" she will ask, every time. Then, eventually we get into the water and she squeals and splashes around with delight. Not exaggerating--she loves her baths!


Then, we pull out all of her toys, mostly ducks. "DUGK" she says-so very pronounced and bit harsh, like with a Eastern Europe accent. It was actually one of her first words and she can recognize a duck in any color, book, cartoon, a toy and even the real thing. And when you ask her what a duck says... "KWAK" she says with that strong accent. I wonder where she got that from??


Lately, She likes to throw her ducks over board, stand up and say "UH OH" which means, mom you need to get that. So this past week, I showed her how she could put them on the edge of the tub. Out of the water but not on the floor and where she could see them. One by one she lined them up and was so proud of herself!


So after bath time is over (she is never ready to get out!). We have to pick up all the ducks and other toys and put them back in their bag, counting one by one, and then we let the water out and she says "BYE BAFH". Then we towel off, brush out teeth. Which is another activity she LOVES and can't get enough! Which, the only problem with that is she has to be in control of the brush. Mom is only good for putting the paste on the brush and holding her so up so she can look at herself in the mirror, admiringly. Seriously.


I really do love my precious times with my baby girl splashing around. Its always a good reminder of how fast she is growing and learning. It seems like she needs to still be in that baby tub or in the sink!


I can remember several years ago when I was at a friends house way before I was even thinking about kids and it was time to give her daughter a bath. I couldn't do it I told her. Not every day. Not the same thing. It was too noisy and messy in that bathroom. Yet, at the same time boring. I just couldn't imagine not having a leisure meal, doing when you wanted to and what you wanted to for as long as you wanted to. Cozying into bed at 7pm or staying up until midnight, whatever my pleasure was. Having to be on demand at the call of a kid just didn't sound very appealing to me. My friend just laughed and said, When you have a baby, you'll change. And secretly I just knew I never would.




Thank you God for change, for nights with my sweet Baby Girl and for helping me get my ducks all in a row.



1 comment:

Nancy Murphree Davis said...

"Duck" was my darling son's first word. I love your blog! I'll be checking in on a regular basis.